More than 250 professionals in the fields of accounting, architecture, health & sciences, engineering, technical and vocational education, tourism, hotel and restaurant management, business, entrepreneurship, public administration, and many other disciplines from 14 countries namely, Bangladesh, Canada, Ghana, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Maldives, Nepal, People’s Republic of China, Philippines, Singapore, Spain, Sri Lanka, and United Kingdom gathered at the Manila Hotel on December 6, 2016 for Royal Institution’s 9th Global Congress and Conferment Ceremony with the theme “Organisational Transparency: Bedrock of Good Governance”.
Her Excellency FDr. Dr. Maria Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, HFRI, 14th President of the Republic of the Philippines, Patron, Honorary Fellow, and Doctor Fellow of Royal Institution, graced the event as the Keynote Speaker.
Five prominent speakers who addressed the Congress are:
- Alok Sharma, MP, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Minister for Asia and the Pacific of the United Kingdom;
- Jose Ruperto Martin M. Andanar, Secretary (Minister) of the Presidential Communications Operations Office of the Republic of the Philippines represented by Hon. Atty. Ana Maria Paz R. Banaag, Assistant Secretary for Legal and Special Concerns of the Presidential Communications Operations Office of the Republic of the Philippines;
- FDr. Atty. Cyril E. Ramos, HFRI, Deputy Ombudsman for the Military and Other Law Enforcement Offices of the Republic of the Philippines;
- FDr. Dr. Emelyn Q. Libunao, Director, Program Management Division, Philippine Information Agency, Republic of the Philippines; and
- FDr. Prof. Jose David Lapuz, DFRIProf, DFRIPAr, Presidential Consultant in Education under the administration of President Rodrigo Duterte.
Following the Congress was the Conferment Ceremony. One of the highlights is the conferment of Hon. Dr. Santanina Tillah-Rasul, the first Muslim Senator of the Republic of the Philippines, as Honorary Fellow of the Royal Institution, the highest and most prestigious honorific lifetime award and title from the Royal Institution. She is now authorised to use the title “HFRI” after her name. She is also honoured with a four-stripe, Royal Powder Blue earned professional Royal Institution Robe and hand crafted gold medallion which she can officially use during all conferment ceremonies, convocations and graduation rites of any universities, colleges, and institutions worldwide. She was also conferred the highest professional title of Doctor Fellow of the Royal Institution, Singapore, FDr. which is the title to be placed before her name. These titles are mark of excellence, distinction and prestige amongst Royal Institution, Singapore members across the globe.
The unprecedented event initiated by the Royal Institution, Singapore has far reaching implications. The approximately 250 delegates from 14 countries across the globe have a network of several millions most of whom would be enticed to visit Philippines for education, tourism, business, and investments. This event contributes to make Philippines an MICE centre.
Royal Institution, and its over 260 constituent Royal Institutes, continues to create boundless opportunities for its members to participate in RI local, international, global seminars, congresses, and conferences.