More than 200 professionals across the globe gathered at the JKKN Auditorium, Sabah National Culture & Arts Complex, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah for the Royal Institution’s 8th Global Congress and Conferment Ceremony with the theme: “Good Governance and Ethical Standards of Professionals of Various Fields in the 21st Century.”
YB Datuk Seri Panglima FDr. Lr. Haji Masidi Manjun, HFRI, DFRIT, Sabah Minister of Tourism, Culture, Environment and Education graced the event at exactly 7:30 a.m. to formally start the ribbon-cutting. Following the ribbon-cutting was the presentation of 12 research paper poster presentations authored by:
- Dr. Jennifor L. Aguilar, SFRIM, FRIEdr, FRIL, FRIProf and Ms. Hermeline B. Aguilar, SMRIEdr, SMRIL of Polytechnic University of the Philippines;
- Ms. Jennline Christian B. Aguilar, AMRIEng of Polytechnic University of the Philippines;
- Dr. Lilibeth C. Aragon, FRIBA, FRIHosM of Lyceum of the Philippines University;
- Ar. Dr. Ofelia M. Bawan, SFRIA of Nueva Ecija University of Science and Technology;
- Dr. Marion A. Cresencio, FRIEdr, FRIM and Ms. Danilova A. Lorenzo, SMRIEdr, SMRIM of Polytechnic University of the Philippines;
- Dr. Ma. Luz P. Dasmariñas, FRIBA, FRIEdr of Asian Institute of Maritime Studies;
- Ms. Jocelyn H. Diaz, SMRIEdr of Aurora State College of Technology;
- Mr. John Paul R. Domingo, SMRIEdr of San Beda College, Alabang;
- Dr. Frederick Edward T. Fabella, FRIPsych of San Mateo Municipal College;
- Ms. Angela Katrina G. Fonte, SMRIN of Asian Hospital and Medical Center; and
- Engr. Dr. Maria Isidra P. Marcos, FRICE, FRIEdr of Nueva Ecija University of Science and Technology.
YB Datuk Seri Panglima FDr. Lr. Haji Masidi Manjun, HFRI, DFRIT, Sabah Minister of Tourism, Culture, Environment and Education warmly welcomed the more than 200 delegates from People’s Republic of China, Malaysia, Maldives, Philippines, Russia and Singapore in his welcome address.
One of the highlights of the morning session was the conferment of YB Datuk Seri Panglima FDr. Lr. Haji Masidi Manjun as Honorary Fellow of the Royal Institution, Singapore, the highest and most prestigious honorific lifetime award and title from the Royal Institution. He is now authorised to use the title “HFRI” after his name. He is also honoured with a four-stripe, powder blue earned professional Royal Institution Robe which he can officially use during all conferment ceremonies, convocation and graduation rites of any universities, colleges and institutions worldwide. YB Datuk Seri Panglima FDr. Lr. Haji Masidi Manjun was also conferred the highest professional title of Doctor Fellow of the Royal Institution, Singapore, FDr. which is the title to be placed before his name. He was also conferred the professional title of Doctor Fellow of the Royal Institute of Tourism, Singapore, DFRIT, the title after his name. The Honourable Minister should now be properly addressed as YB Datuk Seri Panglima FDr. Lr. Haji Masidi Manjun, HFRI, DFRIT. These titles are mark of excellence, distinction and prestige amongst Royal Institution, Singapore members across the globe.
Following the conferment was the signing of Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between and among thirty-three (33) RI Accredited Educational Institutions and Organisations of Asian Countries witnessed by none other than the Honorable YB Datuk Seri Panglima FDr. Lr. Haji Masidi Manjun, HFRI, DFRIT. Thirty-three (33) University and Organisation Presidents from Sabah, Maldives, Philippines and Singapore signed the unprecedented Memorandum of Understanding (MOU). The areas of cooperation include all programs offered by the Educational Institutions and Organisations as deemed desirable and feasible among parties that would contribute to the fostering and development of the cooperative relationship of all parties and to enable diploma graduates to do a one-year top-up programme for bachelor degrees.
Eight prominent speakers addressed the congress:
- Hon. FDr. Joel L. Tan-Torres, HFRI, DFRIAcc, Chairman of the Board of Accountancy, Professional Regulation Commission, Philippines;
- FDr. Dr. Sam Man Keong, FRICE, FRIE, FRIEdr, FRIM, FRIMath, FRIStat, President of Singapore Institute of Engineering Technologists;
- FDr. Dr. Adela Cristeta J. Ruiz, RFRI, FRINutr, President of Nutritionist-Dietitians’ Association of the Philippines;
- FDr. Atty. Nasser A. Morohomsalic, FRILL, Presidential Assistant on Publications and Media of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines;•
- Hon. Prof. FDr. Jose David-Lapuz, DFRIPAr, Philippines Presidential Consultant on Education;
- Dr. Jennifer Chan Kim Lian, SFRIT, FRIEdr, FRIHosM, Professor at the Universiti Malaysia Sabah;
- Hon. FDr. Ahmed Siyam Mohamed, DFRIH, Leader of Maldives Development Alliance, Chairman and Managing Director of Sun Siyam Group Maldives; and
- Dr. Gloria Baken Wong-Siy, SFRIHosM, FRIEdr(L), Founding President of Association of Administrators in Hospitality, Hotel & Restaurant Management Educational Institutions, Philippines.
Hon. Commissioner FDr. Ar. Yolanda David-Reyes, HFRI, DFRIA of Professional Regulations Commission, Philippines delivered the keynote address on Good Governance and Ethical Standards of Professionals of Various Fields in the 21st Century. The eight other distinguished speakers shared their insights on Good Governance and Ethical Standards on their respective fields.
After the Congress was the Conferment of three Honorary Fellows: Hon. Commissioner FDr. Ar. Yolanda David-Reyes, HFRI, DFRIA of Professional Regulations Commission, Philippines; FDr. Joel L. Tan-Torres, HFRI, DFRIAcc, Chairman of the Board of Accountancy, Professional Regulation Commission, Philippines; and FDr. Dr. Danilo V. Ayap, HFRI, DFRIEdr, President of Lyceum of Alabang.
The historic event initiated by the Royal Institution, Singapore has far reaching implications. The more than 200 internatioal delegates have a network of several millions most of whom maybe enticed to visit Sabah for education tourism, business and investments.